Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Erasing Hell

Recently I've been struggling through Erasing Hell and when I say that I've been struggling through it, I don't mean that I don't agree with it.  It is just that this is a hard book to read in general as a Christian who doesn't think about the reality of hell on a daily basis.  But it is powerful and I personally suggest it to anyone who wants to know what the Bible truly says about hell.  Francis Chan actually went to various different Biblical scholars to have them read this book to ensure that his interpretation of the scriptures was, in fact, correct.  It is extremely well studied and presents his thoughts in a clear and easy to understand way.  This book is one of the great things that came out of Rob Bell's book Love Wins.  I have heard it argued that Erasing Hell was rushed through as a response to Rob Bell...and while I do believe that it is a response...Francis did not rush through this book in any way.  If you have watched the video that he released before Erasing Hell came out, you would know that he was extremely worried about messing this up.  It's not something to screw up...because if he did...he's dealing with people's lives.  This is a real thing...a real aspect of life that we have to face...and he did not want to lead anyone in the wrong direction.  Well...watch the video and see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnrJVTSYLr8

Within the book many different passages have challenged me.  But one of the passages just hit me really hard.

"As I write this chapter about hell, I'm sitting in the middle of a busy Starbucks.  Every time I look up from my computer screen, I see that I'm surrounded by thirsty customers racing to the counter to fuel up on lattes and iced teas and mochas.  They're happy, busy, enjoying life, laughing, chatting, and, of course texting.  Two moms look as if they just got done jogging and sit next to me, digging into each other's lives.  Another couple just left.  They were all over each other -- a typical young couple without a care in the world.  The girl last in line looks sad.  Really sad.  It makes me wonder what just happened in her life.  And what about the employees?  Are they happy?  Some look that way, but others don't.  Joy, laughter, coffee, jazz, texting, talking, flirting, friendship, depression and the hope to be freed from it one day.  This is life!  I love it--and so do they.  The place buzzes with life.  Meanwhile, I sit here reading passage after passage, which all say that some of these people are going to hell.  It sickens me to say that, and I can't explain how conflicted I feel right now.  There are at least a dozen people within ten feet of me right now, right now, that may end up in the agony that I'm studying.  What do I do?  Do I keep writing?  Keep studying?  Should I bag this whole book thing and start building relationships with them?  How can I believe these passages yet sit her silently?  I know that some of you have faced this same conflict.  Even as you're reading this, there are probably people within a few feet of you who may also go to hell.  What will you do?  It could be that the Lord wants you to put the book down.  Coming face-to-face with these passages on hell and asking these tough questions is a heart-wrenching process.  It forces me back to a sobering reality: This is not just a doctrine; it's about destinies.  And if you're reading this book and wrestling with what the Bible says about hell, you cannot let this be a mere academic exercise.  You must let Jesus' very real teaching on hell sober you up.  You must let Jesus' words reconfigure the way you live, the way you talk, ad the way you see the world and the people around you."

That passage flabergasted me.  I literally put the book down for a full week.  It effected me so much that I wanted to make sure my heart was in the right place and ready to read the rest.  And if you read this book I suggest you do that same, because it is easy after reading these passages to look at God and say I don't want to worship a God that is going to do that...but the fact is.  His ways are so much higher then ours!  Francis goes on to say one of my absolute favorite passages in his book...

"We are bound by the words of the Creator, the One who will do what is right.  The One who invented justice and knows perfectly what the unbeliever deserves.  God has never asked us to figure out His justice or to see if His way of doing things is morally right.  He has only asked us to embrace His Word and bow the knee, to tremble at His word, as Isaiah says (66:2).  Don't get so lost in deciphering that you forget to tremble." 

Isaiah 66:2--"Has not my hand made all these things,  and so they came into being?" declares the LORD.  "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word."

Shouldn't this be how we are living?  We were not made to question God's morals or His justice...we are made to tremble at this Word...to stand, kneel, fall prostrate before his awesomeness.  For we honor a great God.  One that no matter what plans he has is morally right and always unchangingly good.  Remember this.  Remember that we serve a God that's ways are FAR beyond ANYTHING that we could ever ask or imagine.  And in serving him we need to be looking to the nonbelievers and to ourselves within the church.  Are we living our lives in a way that is worthy of Christ?  Are we lukewarm?  Are we hell-destined?  Because...Jesus left it up to us.  It's up to you and me as the church to continue the great commission. 

"My prayer is not for them alone.  I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.  May they also be inus so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be ne as we are one; I in them and you in me.  May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.  Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.  Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me.  I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."--John 17:20-26

No comments:

Post a Comment